*

*

*

JOIN Skattie, what are you wearing?'s FACEBOOK FRIENDS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A SECOND ATTEMPT AT FINDING STRONG PERSONAL STYLE AMONGST THE THESPIANS WITH A GENEROUS HELPING OF RUDIMENTARY PHOTOSHOP CHEESE











I love that title, sounds clever, atleast I think so, and if  you're judging me for my cheesy photoshop tricks, you can stop right now, it’s not like you’ve never an idea that you knew was shit but still carried on with it anyway. Whateverrr. Last time I went to the Baxter theatre was for the Fleur Du Kak Theatre awards, I went in search of personal style, what I found was a bunch of people who dressed as though they found the very notion of style to be unbearable, they literally went out of their way to look as aesthetically unpleasing as possible. I posted about it, I was not very kind and rightfully so, they looked really shit, click here if you have not seen that post, infact even if you’ve seen it click anyway so you can point and laugh. With my new camera in hand I went searching again last night, and I must say it was a much better fashion performance than last time. Don’t get me wrong, this was no fashion week, but there were some gems and I am a patient man, so I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked and looked until I found these interesting bits in the colour/accessory department. I really like how these culture vultures used colour and accessories to create stylish interest in their looks. What was even more interesting was the performance for the night. It was the opening night of a one woman show titled “BORDER/CLASH: A LITANY OF DESIRES” by Jamaican born  New York resident poet/performance artist Staceyann Chin (the face in colour in the pics above, and with the hair in the pic above that one). I normally try not to comment on the art or performances as that is not my area of expertise, but I loved every moment of her performance, it reminded me why I used to like the poetry scene back in the early noughties, she has an amazing way with words. Admittedly, she does come across as being a little bit on the angry side of lesbian, but it so justified and delivered with sharp humour. Anyway, google her, google the show, then get off your ass and go see the show, and for goodness sake put something interesting on. Do it for me, do it for yourself, do it for Donatella Versace, fukkit do it for your dog, just do it.. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails